Community Stories Live
Radio Milwaukee hosts a series of events throughout the year based on our Community Stories — Community Stories Live — all designed to develop cross-cultural relationships and partnerships, facilitate dialogue across diverse perspectives, and create bridges across race, age, gender, culture, abilities and sexual orientation. The goal is to provide the foundation for the creation of an inclusive and culturally diverse Milwaukee.
As our mission statement says, “88Nine Radio Milwaukee serves as a catalyst for creating a better, more inclusive and engaged city through music, stories and events created for a culturally open-minded community.”
Community Stories Live is a key to making this a reality.
— Glenn Kleiman
Executive Director, 88Nine Radio Milwaukee
Community Engagement Resource Group Meetings
The Community Engagement Resource Group meets several times per year to strengthen relationships through meaningful discussions centered on diversity and inclusion and to design and plan the Community Stories Live events that are at the core of Radio Milwaukee’s engagement strategy.
Community Stories Live Events
Community Stories Live events are curated to create discussion platforms for diverse groups from all backgrounds to engage in conversations that reveal the challenges and opportunities for building a culturally diverse and inclusive Milwaukee.
- Saturday, May 4, 12:30-4pm: Urban Spelunking: The Bus Tour
- We will be jumping on a bus and exploring three Milwaukee buildings with Bobby Tanzilo of On Milwaukee and Nate Imig of Radio Milwaukee!
- Saturday, May 4, 4-7pm: Grand Opening of the ZIP MKE Gallery at Radio Milwaukee
- Explore Milwaukee’s zip codes through a photographic gallery
- Wednesday, August 21, 6-9pm: Backspin: The Bonus Episode
- Be a part of a live taping of Radio Milwaukee’s first long-form podcast, Backspin: The Search for Milwaukee’s First Hip-Hop song — LISTEN HERE
- Tuesday, November 5, 5:30-8pm: Coming to Milwaukee: Immigration Stories (at No Studios)
- Hear personal stories of families and individuals coming to Milwaukee and their experiences with immigration
- This event is put on in partnership with Ex Fabula
- Tuesday, December 17, 5:30-8:30pm: Community Stories Live at Radio Milwaukee
- Hear from our Community Stories Team about their top stories of 2019
- Appearances from some of our featured subjects and organizations
- Ready for Love
- Breaking Out of Your Bubble: The Role YOU Play
- Tech Talk with Alicia Carr
- Media and Representation: Who Gets Seen? Who Gets Heard? Who Tells the Story?
- Invisible Lines Video Series Celebration
- Dissecting Kendrick Lamar: Exploring To Pimp A Butterfly
- Band Together III
- Timeless Harmony
- Music and Identity
- Band Together II
- The Blood is at the Doorstep Film Screening and Talkback
- Timeless Harmony
- Fostering Neighborhood Collaboration by Makenzie Boettcher
- Cultural Commons: stories of inclusion by Emily Talapa
- How an old letter changed thoughts of race in Milwaukee by Makenzie Boettcher
- Band Together by Nate Imig